Quirky Tales Banner

Tuesday 7 August 2012

Am I a Social Misfit?

A story that's playing out across the internet today is the suggestion that an absence of a Facebook account is regarded as suspicious by some psychologists and employers, some even going so far as to say that shunning the social network may be a sign that you're a psychopath. In other words, if you don't have a Facebook account you could find yourself being rejected by potential employers, who regard resistance to the social network as a clear sign of social disfunction.
Hm. There's so much to shout at with this idea that I'm not at all sure where to start! To begin with, I find the idea of laying my entire life out online to be, in itself, rather suspicious. Surely I don't need dozens of people to 'friend' and 'like' me in order to assert my mental health? Besides, given the repeated warnings that we should be mindful of protecting our personal data, mixed with Facebook's reputation of tinkering with privacy settings, it could be seen as a sign of prudence not to have an account.
I've always been contrary, which is no doubt an indication of a deeper psychological issue, but I can feel my heels digging in whenever anyone tries to force an idea upon me. I have a feeling that my Facebook account is even further away now than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment