Quirky Tales Banner

Thursday 3 May 2012

Capturing the Action

The editing of the second book of the Boldre Wood Trilogy continues, throwing up one or two issues that I shall have to deal with before I go too much further. The wise one (Dad) suggested I beef up the action scenes in the second book and, although there is already a fair bit of action, it has given me pause for thought.
Delivering fast paced drama, whilst still adequately describing a scene is a difficult art. Too much description and explanation interrupts the flow of the drama, slowing the pace and reducing the excitement. Too little description renders the scene unfathomable. It's also important to remember that some people like lots of blood and gore, while others are offended and distressed by it.
I plan to finish editing this draft, then I shall return to the action scenes to see how they could be improved. It's a tricky balance between too much and too little, but I suppose if it was easy it wouldn't be much of an art.

No comments:

Post a Comment