Quirky Tales Banner

Tuesday 4 October 2011

Slow News Day

Two chapters edited. I decided to take a break and do a little writing but find myself uninspired. Normally a quick trawl of the news sites or a listen in to LBC triggers something, but it's hard to pick through the day's dominating story to find something curious.
Today, it's all about Amanda Knox being acquitted in Perugia. It's an endlessly fascinating story for some, but for me it's all just unutterably sad, both for the Knox family and, more so, for the Kercher family, for whom there's no happy ending.
One story that did stand out for me was the campaign to save a tree in Scarborough from the chop. For a few days now I've seen headlines about protestors taking up residence in the tree's branches but hadn't bothered to look into it. Today I decided to have a deeper look. It turns out that a couple asked for the tree to be felled after it came to their attention that it was damaging their house. I have to say, as much as I love trees, if one was threatening my home I'd be out there with a chain saw and I wouldn't have much sympathy for anyone who thought a tree was more valuable than my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment