Quirky Tales Banner

Thursday 13 October 2011

Encrypted Inheritance

According to research, people are now leaving their passwords in their will. Whilst my initial reaction was an indignant scoff, on reflection it actually makes perfectly good sense. With concerns over personal data security at an all time high most of us now protect our work and business dealings with encryption and passwords. At the same time, all those passwords are supposed to be retained in our heads and nowhere else. After all, to write them down negates their purpose.
However, when we die it isn't possible for our loved ones to stick an SD card into our heads to download all that vital information, which means accessing vital documents (like potentially chart-topping unpublished manuscripts, ahem!) will be difficult or impossible for our loved ones.
The more I think about it, the more I see there is a need for a system for the passing on of our passwords to our benefactors. I'd get my solicitor to jot them down in my will, if only I could remember the damned things!

No comments:

Post a Comment