Quirky Tales Banner

Wednesday 5 October 2011

Irrational Fears and Amazon Therapy

According to the BBC, the nest of a venomous biting spider has been found in Bletchley. A fear of spiders is a ridiculous and utterly irrational thing. There is no sensible reason to run screaming from the room at the sight of the average British spider - and yet, I do. The thought of encountering one that has larger than average fangs and whose bite would be capable of putting me in hospital is not going to help me overcome my fear!
And so I'm all the more relieved that the new spider catcher we ordered at the weekend has arrived. We needed a new one, because the old one had a late night adventure. Having used it to bravely trap an enormous spider, the kind that wears boots, spurs and a holster, I had attempted to release it through the open window.
Convinced that, given the thorough shaking I had given it, the spider could not possibly still be in the trap, I pulled it back in, only to see the spider hanging by one leg, grinning at me in what I can only describe as a sinister manner.
What happened next occurred at some speed. I sucked in air, yanked back the curtain, and lobbed spider and catcher out of the window. The spider survived, I know, because it was back the next day. The catcher fared less well.
Now, thanks to the amazing distributive powers of Amazon, my gleaming new spider trap is assembled and waiting. So spiders, venomous or otherwise, I'm ready for you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment