Quirky Tales Banner

Tuesday 19 February 2013

Richard Briers

Yesterday's BBC news reporters' strike meant that proper tribute to one of our best loved actors wasn't really paid. The passing of the wonderful Richard Briers deserves far more than a thirty second slot on a reduced edition of the evening news, but hopefully the Beeb will make up for it in the coming days.
In the meantime, I'd just like to say how sad I am, and to thank him for always making me smile. As a small girl I loved him in 'The Good Life', and years later my own small girl came to love him just as much through our 'Good Life' DVDs. He and 'The Good Life' continue to appeal and entertain, across the generations. I'm not sure there's a better tribute than that really.
If you have ten minutes, here's a clip from the first episode of series 2 on YouTube. There are many more clips available, but I found it impossible to choose a favourite. He was brilliant in them all.
The BBC has a short piece on their website. It features a tribute from another of my favourites, Penelope Keith, one of his co-stars from 'The Good Life'.

No comments:

Post a Comment