Quirky Tales Banner

Tuesday 3 January 2012

The Magnificent Sherlock Holmes

I missed the first series of the BBC's latest adaptation of Sherlock Holmes. I was being stubborn. I love the original Sherlock Holmes mysteries, as written by Conan Doyle, in book form, old fashioned as I am. I treasure my copy of the memoirs and have read it from cover to cover several times. I tend to get snippy with modern interpretations, seeing them as error riddled and disrespectful. So it was with a good deal of trepidation that I decided to give 'Sherlock' a go on Sunday.
It was superb. Benedict Cumberbatch captures every nuance of Holmes and delivers him with utter conviction in this modern interpretation of the stories. This first episode was loosely based on 'A Scandal in Bohemia' and proved a worthy adaptation of the story that saw Holmes bested by 'the woman', the only woman who ever won his respect.
If you'd like to know more, the BBC has a page dedicated to the series:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b018ttws
I'm glad I overcame my prejudice. Still, think I'd better avoid the Hollywood attempts, they might test my patience a little too far!

No comments:

Post a Comment