Quirky Tales Banner

Monday 16 July 2012

eBook Recommendation

I find picking my way through ebook stores to be a time-consuming and frustrating business. With so many books to choose from it's tricky to pick out a good one, not least because I never feel that I'm being shown all that's on offer.
Although my searches of the estores are frequently fruitless, I have found the occasional gem, such as the book I'm currently reading, 'Lillian's Story, One Woman's Journey Through the 20th Century' by Sally Patricia Gardner. Even though I'm only two thirds through I can tell it's one I shall want to keep and return to. It's written with such authority and such depth of emotion that, despite being a novel, it reads like a genuine memoir.
The idea behind the novel is that Lillian was born at the very start of the century, dying just short of her one hundredth birthday, and has therefore seen all the key moments of the century: wars, coronations, scientific breakthroughs, and immense social change. Her 'memoir' allows the reader to see it all through the eyes of a daughter, wife, mother, grandmother, allowing us to see the impact world events had upon an ordinary family, sharing with us the grief, the joys and the horrors they brought with them. It puts a whole new spin on history.
If you'd like to take a look, here's a link to the book on Kindle:
Lillians Story
Incidentally, if you've found a similar gem, please feel free to share it by commenting on this post. I, for one, would be very grateful for any recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment