Quirky Tales Banner

Thursday 7 June 2012

Fields of Gold

I've been absent from the blog for a few days, but I have a list of excuses! Firstly, I'm still getting to grips with Blogger's new user interface - I found the old one much more user friendly, probably because I was used to it (which won't mean a thing if you don't blog, but trust me, behind the curtains things have changed!). Secondly, I was a bit distracted by all the pageantry of the Jubilee Weekend. Thirdly, that certain rather special someone is briefly at home, so I've been making the most of some precious time with her.
Anyway, excuses out of the way, I'm almost back to normal now. More editing, more writing, more searching for funny, odd or frankly weird news stories.
One story that caught my attention is about the UK's rapeseed fields. Following a big increase in demand, not to mention price, British farmers have been growing more and more rapeseed. It's pretty enough, though I personally find the smell overpowering, and now it's attracting interest from our foreign visitors. So much so, in fact, that a Japanese company is now arranging special tours of the rapeseed fields. They've even reached an agreement with one enterprising farmer to take their customers for walks through his crop fields.
http://web.orange.co.uk/article/quirkies/Japanese_tourists_visit_rapeseed_fields
Let's hope the British summer can conjure up a little sunshine for them, because the rapeseed fields are at their most stunning against a blue sky backdrop.

No comments:

Post a Comment