Quirky Tales Banner

Tuesday 27 August 2013

Venus in Doc Martens

Regular followers of this blog will be aware that I am frequently drawn to unusual homes. I can't really explain my interest other than by saying I have a secret desire to break convention. It's probably the same part of me that finds itself admiring the patent red leather Doc Martens in the shoe shop in town, and occasionally wonders what it would be like to have purple hair. (Don't worry Mum, I'm not going to dye my hair purple - I was thinking more of bright red to match the Doc Martens!)
However, spend a few years hunting down stories of alternative homes and lifestyles and you come to realise that actually, not much is really all that different, and alternative isn't as radical as it sounds.
But then the BBC ran an article about Venus Project and suddenly I'm not only intrigued, I want to sign up today. The brainchild of the architect Jacque Fresco, the concept is that of a structured society where acquisitiveness is discouraged and knowledge seeking and cultural improvement is the primary goal of humankind while robots and machinery does the boring stuff. Sounds good to me. As one who is keen to further her knowledge but finds herself priced out of further studies, I'm ready to move in now! Added to which, some of the plans look heavenly. I could really take to living in a giant garden. I was about to say I'm going to start packing, but I suppose that might miss the fundamental point of the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment