Quirky Tales Banner

Wednesday 23 April 2014

I'd Rather Be ....

I'd spent the morning prevaricating, well, ironing, writing music, cleaning the kitchen floor, anything rather than get on with editing. I hate editing and find I'm so easily distracted by anything, evidenced surely by the fact that I would rather clean the kitchen floor than sit down and get on with it. But I received a slap on the wrist in the form of a National Geographic article (found via a convoluted trawl of the internet, and ultimately the Mail's site, when I should have been working).

The article has some astonishing photographs and video of the Bangladeshi ship breakers yards. Make time, if you will, to watch the video. You'll never feel the need to bemoan your lot again. Among the photographs is an image of some boys working in the yards who claim to be 14. They look to be no older than 8 or 9, some are possibly younger. Yet they are readily employed by the yards for their cheap labour and size - small bodies can squeeze into tight spaces. It's an awful thought, and one that we might have hoped harked back to a less enlightened age. They work among the steel, the asbestos, the gas, the explosions, all to ensure the yards' huge profits. I'll leave you to your own conclusions there.

Anyway, the next time you hear me whinging on about editing, feel free to point out I could be working as a shipbreaker in Bangladesh. I'll go and get on with it right now. No more moaning, or time-wasting I promise. Billy 3 has waited long enough.

K.

No comments:

Post a Comment