Quirky Tales Banner

Wednesday 24 October 2012

Working for Your Pension, After You've Worked for Your Pension

Lord Bichard has come up with an idea so typical of the governors of our society that it would be hilarious, were it not for the fact that he appears to be in earnest: he suggests that retired people should have to work in order to continue receiving their state pension.
Bear with me. I'm taking a breather here while I order my thoughts.
Okay, the first thought is: haven't retired people have already worked for their pensions?
Second thought: most retired people I know already help their younger relations with childcare, and their older relations with health care, often leaving little or no time for themselves, or any voluntary work imposed upon them by the distant and rather clueless elite.
Third thought: don't we all look forward to retirement in the hope that we might have a few years of decent health left in us to at least do some of the things we've always wanted to? If we're forced to spend three days a week volunteering, we're not going to have a lot of time left for the hobbies we've always dreamt of.
And lastly, I'd like to deal with the suggestion that the younger generation is subsidising the older generation by paying the taxes that fund their pensions. Erm, I thought that was how it worked. Didn't the current pensioners do that for the previous generation? When you work, you pay taxes that fund pensions, benefits and public services. When you retire, your reward is your own not exactly spectacular pension.
I despair. I'm trying to think happy thoughts. Cute fluffy bunnies. Parties. Christmas lights. Vicar of Dibley. Cake. Aaaagh! It's not working!
Sorry, I was so exercised by the story, I forgot to post a link: pensioners should work for their pension.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting item Kay. Speaking as one of those that this gentleman regards as a 'negative burden on the state' I find this a little insulting. I worked of 48 years, had 13 days off sick in that time and was out of work for 3 days after I left school at 16 before joining the Navy. I retired at 64. Interesting that this guy retired at 53 from the civil service and now gets a pension of about £120,000 pa - funded out of our taxes.( The state ) He also gets his daily allowances when he turns up at the house of lords - paid out of out taxes ( the state )
    I am planning to take up his suggestion by volunteering to take his place ( and pension etc ) so preventing myself becoming a drain on the state. He could perhaps volunteer to sweep the road I live in and fill in the pot holes - which the mostly elderly residents do ourselves at the monent.
    I think I'll send this duffer an e mail suggesting a few changes.
    Perhaps this could be the subject of a weekly challenge. 'John' might have some ideas on this...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it bizarre that anyone could refer to people who have worked and contributed their whole lives as a negative burden. I suspect he's lived a rather insulated little life and has no idea what people do with their time, I have the impression he thinks that retired people sit around watching daytime TV or something. And now I think about it, why shouldn't they? They're retired, they have ceased to work, in theory their time is their own.
    I'm certainly looking forward to our retirement and hoping we can spend it with our family, doing the things we enjoy. If that includes volunteering, so be it, but it should be our choice.
    I definitely think 'John' should be sent to work on this one - watch this space everyone for a new story !

    ReplyDelete