Quirky Tales Banner

Friday 20 January 2012

New Software Blues!

Given that my old and normally dependable word processing package has recently become reluctant to start, it was decided that we should invest in a smart new package, which shall, for the moment at least, remain nameless. To be perfectly honest I had my doubts, I don't really like change, but this morning I squared my shoulders and settled down for a quick trip through the tutorials.
It was all looking good, bordering on exciting actually, as there seemed to be a good indexing and section manoeuvring capability, which will be very useful when it comes to preparing my anthology for e-pub. I couldn't wait to get started!
Of course, I should have known better. The document won't save, the table of contents is impossible to edit and doesn't update automatically as suggested in the tutorial, and the section manoeuvring falls far short of the glitzy video's promises.
I know, I know! When 'he who fixes the computer' comes home he'll have it all working in a couple of clicks. That's the thing about new software. Only those who write the wretched stuff can get it to bloomin' well work. Worse, they normally have a ready supply of sarcastic comments or patronising looks for those lesser mortals among us who fall at the first hurdles.

No comments:

Post a Comment